Thursday, May 26, 2011

Expectations

I think this is something that people have too many of.  This is actually a new realization, and it isn’t very easy to let go of some expectations that you’ve held on to for a long time.
I’ve recently learned that when I create a specific expectation of someone, just because it seems feasible in my head doesn’t necessarily mean that any other humans can live up to that.  So, in my not so distant past, I was trudging around in a constant state of disappointment in others.  I found that I was basing my emotions on this goofball fantasy imagination land.  For example:   if you loved me, you would A, then B, and then C, then … If all these didn’t happen exactly according to my neatly devised plan, then you must not love me. 
So, I’ve decided to try to let all of my expectations go.  Ok, not ALL… Like if I lean really far to the left, I expect to fall off of my chair… I’m holding on to the basic statistical-type… But if you say you want to be my friend, I will watch and learn what this means to you instead of expecting a specific behavior.
Life without disappointment is proving to be a wonderful thing.  I can open a book and get what the author is giving.  I can turn on the radio and hear whatever is playing.  And the best is that I can love someone for who and what they are.

15 comments:

  1. I love that last line :) Awesomeness!! Thanks for sharing ;) Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading this. You make a great point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I actually giggled aloud when I read one line (Like if I lean really far to the left, I expect to fall off of my chair) :D Like the sentiment of your blog. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If everyone loved their family members for "who and what" they were, we would live in a more loving environment. I think we can expect things from our loved ones far more easily when we accept them for who and what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only everyone could love and accept people for who and what they are without judgment what a wonderful world we would have. Awesome post!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked what you had to say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved it. You write as if we could be related!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, so true! I learned later in life that we should not expect to be able to change other people. This was such a nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. good write..enjoyed it very much. totally get what u r saying. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Letting go of expectations of outside stuff is a great way to make room for what's really there. Nice post! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. gosh love how you write paint!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's hard not to expect too much of other people, yet they often just to have the ability to live up to those expectations. Sounds like you've found a happy medium.
    Pam
    A Pirate Looks Past Sixty

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chair bit was a nice humorous twist. :)

    Glad you were able to change your outlook to enjoy life more!

    ReplyDelete